Katy No Pocket {bfiar}


Katy No Pocket, by Emmy Payne and H. A. Rey, is one of the more fun "rows" we've done this year.  As with all year, we are working our way through the Before Five in a Row with a toddler, a preschooler and a 2nd grader.  The "before" units aren't meant for 2nd graders, but I find we get by just fine, since I've been doing this for 5 years now.

We are at the end of our school year, gearing up for a break, so we didn't do a whole lot.  Maybe that's what made this row one of the more fun ones, I don't know.

We read the book, then found our vintage apron with a wee pocket in it.  (It was my mom's when she was a little girl).



Connor was also seen several times with a apron of his own, hopping around like a kangaroo.

We watched several videos of kangraoos with SmartKidz Media (full review to come later).


We read about marsupials and learned that kangaroos can jump more than 40 feet.  So we went outside and I had my 2nd grader count by 5s on our sidewalk blocks.  They were conveniently 5 feet each.  He drew a simple chalk line as he counted, then he and Emma both measured the 40 foot line against their own jumps. 

Connor tried his darndest to jump 40 feet, convinced if he just ran fast enough he could do it.  lol.

 
We borrowed Delightful Learning's idea of making the Australian dessert, Pavlova.  Ours was topped with sprinkles instead of fruit, as it should be, because sister was very insistent that clearly our Pavlova needs sprinkles. Not fruit.
 

Unrelated to Katy No Pocket, we had additional fun learning time with hikes in the morning, to see trilliums and a pond.  Later on we went with dad in the evening light.

 Connor also is continuing learning about birds, all on his own.


(My intent with these posts is to just share our experience with the bfiar (before five in a row) curriculum.  I stray away from the manual because this is my 5th year with the company and I feel more confident in my teaching than I did when I started, so I add and adjust depending on our moods and what's available at our library.  Please don't compare your school to our school.  Yours may look different, and that is perfectly okay.)

Linking up with:
 
Delightful Learning Hip Homeschool MomsWeekly Wrap-Up  http://blog.vibranthomeschooling.com/

1 comment:

  1. My daughter LOVED Katy No Pocket when she was little. We read it countless times. :)
    I love reading your blog, you have so much fun in your homeschool!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...