Goal setting for 2015

Last year I had "peace" in mind.  I think I could feel the drain on my body and was being warned in my heart to settle down on harboring anger and causing undo stress on myself.

I'll be honest and say for many months I failed at this.  I ignored the warnings and accepted the lies I told myself.  That "I'm fine."  As a result of my ignoring the warnings in my heart, I got very ill by May.  The ER doctors checked for all kinds of crazy things my symptoms where warning them about.  Blood clots, cancer, disease.  Every test came back negative.  I was perfectly healthy.  "Are you under a lot of stress?"  I'd answer "no", too ashamed to say "yes, but not for any good reason."

Let's just think on this fact for a moment:  Stress can mimic symptoms in your body that resemble major illnesses.  I was being checked for blood clots and cancer.  Kidney disease and liver failure!  That is huge!  Learning to manage stress is no joke.

I'm a person that craves quiet.  Yet this season in my life is anything but quiet.  It's hard.  Acceptance needs to be first on my plate, I think.  Accepting that I am in a season of chaos, and that is okay.  Accept, not avoid.

I'm also a person that struggles with anger.  Anger causes stress.  Stress wrecks havoc on our bodies.  After the fiasco of my many doctor appointments I got real with myself.  I became more intentional to seek peace.

I worked on a 30 day mouth challenge, and often I'd write the verses on my hand in a sharpie so I'd have a visual throughout the day, that I couldn't avoid.

I stayed firm in boundaries that where being overstepped.  I armed myself with books to read daily, The Power of a Praying Parent and The Anger Workbook for Christian Parents.

I began to seek His word daily, in the mornings, with the help of devotionals at #SheReadsTruth.

I still have a long road ahead of me, but I've made great improvements.  This year our "one word" for the year is "word".  (ha!  How fitting for West Word Blog to choose "word").  I'm choosing the Word, to guide my words. 



This past year of mine, 2014, ended very tragically.  To have such a great amount of people, at the end of your life, each say the same loving and kind words about you.... what an incredible testimony.  A true legacy.  I want that.  In my current state, I will not have that.  My goal for the year, for my life, is to live the Word, as she did.

I want to love like she loved.  The love of a humble person.  A love like Him.
"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
This year, I pray, is a true year of peace for us.  A year of kindness.  A year of love.  A year where I am somebody that makes everybody feel like a somebody. 



{source}


It starts with the words that come out of my mouth.


{source}
 


4 comments:

  1. How very fitting that word be your word of the year! Ha! Gosh was she ever the epitome of 1 Corinthians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that you continue to grow in peace and in God's word in your life this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up at Pea of Sweetness and sharing your word. I pray 2015 is a blessed year for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...