Oh My Pumpkin Pie!

 

We borrowed this cute easy reader from the library, Oh My, Pumpkin Pie! by Charles Ghigna.  I must be a "unit study" teacher because from this one book we did many things.  Sort of like those "If you give a Mouse a Cookie" style books.  "If you give Debbie a book, she's likely to ____" on and on and on. 

Anywho.  I'm sure it's not hard to figure out what we did.  First, we went to our local pumpkin farm!



There we picked out The Very Best Pumpkin.

 We went home, washed up that pumpkin, sliced her open and stuck her in the oven.
{after guts are cleaned out place in one inch water in roaster, pan or sheet; place in oven at 350F for 45 mins or so - until it's soft.  Peel off skin, or use the scoop, and discard.  Place pulp in a blender and puree!  Voila!}

If you use your Ninja Blender then you get some major brownie points with your son.  Because it's a Ninja and all.


Take your new and fresh puree and make yourself the best pumpkin pie ever.  
{funny side story:  last Canadian Thanksgiving my family was visiting to celebrate the holiday and help with then newborn Sammy.  I went on and on bragging about my mad pumpkin pie making skills.  Bragging gets you nowhere, I learned.  Because I forgot the sugar and ... my self described award winning pie was so gross.  Lesson:  don't brag, and more importantly- don't forget the sugar!!  and maybe ... when you're postpartum, stay outta the kitchen.}

Back to the puree..... Freeze any left over puree for later.  And trust me.  You'll never use canned pumpkin again.

I've tried many many pie recipes.  This was actually my craving when I was pregnant with Connor.  I think I made like 2 a week.  And in all that pie making.... the following recipe was the one I deemed best of all.  Plus, it's super easy!!

Best Pumpkin Pie

1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar <--- key ingredient there, folks  ;)
2 eggs, beaten
1 TBS melted butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat your oven to 425F.  Mix everything in a large bowl and blend well.  Place your pie shell into a prepared pie dish.  Pour your pumpkin mix into shell.  Bake 45-50 mins.  Cool and serve!


While that cooked we did lots of fun crafts, painting and coloring. 
pumpkin related links:
from 1+1+1=1
from Lawteedah {tot pack}


Linking up at:
 
 
The Homeschool Village
So You Call Yourself a Homeschooler



.

4 comments:

  1. Love your banner! Awesome! But guess what? We made a pumpkin pie this past week too...from our own grown sugar pie pumpkins. First time ever! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's even better, homegrown! How awesome! Love your blog =]

      Delete
  2. That is quite a bit of fun with one book. I love fall. Enjoy the pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pie story from Thanksgiving. :) Mommy brain is no fun...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...