Our Curriculum for 2012/2013

Connor is in Kindergarten this year.  Because of the new baby due to arrive right at the beginning of the school year I had to choose something that was more laid out for me.  For the record I really wanted to continue on with using FIAR.  But it's just too much for my "need it just so" ways and also affordable to our budget.  I needed something with very little planning.  So, I chose Heart of DakotaLittle Hands for His Glory.

For phonics we chose (because we already own it) Hooked on Phonics:  Kindergarten.

Now that we've began our school I'm not exactly happy with my choices, even though I can't really afford the time involved to prepare FIAR.  Note:  you don't need to prepare this curriculum, but me, I  can't stand myself until I have spreadsheets and matchy matchy things.  Not everyone needs to be annoying like me.  ;)

One reason I'm not happy is not the fault of my chosen curriculum, it's me.  I like things to match.  I want the birth of Christ to be talked about at Christmas, not the death and ressurection at Christmas time.  But again, not everyone feels the need for things to match.  I miss the freedom of that with FIAR.

Another reason I don't like it is it is very much American History.  I am American, so the country isn't the issue. It's that my kids are Canadian.  They should be learning their own country first and most.

It's also a whole of reading (me outloud) with very little pictures, which is hard for my visual 5 year old.  He does love the role play and science so far though. 

Things I do like:  I don't have to really plan anything.  Just open up the manuel and go.  Perfect for our life right now.  I also like that I can easily change things out, which I will need to do because the math and phonics and handwriting I chose for Connor are all too easy for him.

I like that it takes your through the bible in one school year.  Even if it isn't matchy matchy.  =p

Anyways.  That's Connor's curriculum.

Emma is in Tot School this year.  As of today she's 26 months.  We chose to follow (mostly) Hubbard's Cupboard 2's curriculum.  I've thrown in bits and pieces from Tot School and Confessions.

1 comment:

  1. I am visiting from the HOD Blogroll and wanted to share a weekly HOD Highlights meme that I am starting to inspire and encourage others using HOD.

    I hope that you will share your HOD posts and link up with others. I am looking forward to seeing how everyone is using Heart of Dakota.

    Many Blessings, Tamara
    http://allofakindfamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...