30 Days of Me Photo Challenge: Day 28

BWS tips button


Day Twenty Eight:
Post a photo of something you're afraid of. Why are you afraid of this? Do you have any irrational fears? If so, what are they? What can you do to try & overcome these fears?

aftermath of a storm about 1995 or 96 in our backyard, explained further down in the blog.


I feel like I've already discussed this thoroughly, in Day 11.  If you read that post, you'll understand that I don't want to revisit that topic.  I did however think of something else I am willing to post about.

Thunderstorms.  I'm afraid of them.  I'm not talking about the simple flashes of lightening and claps of thunder.  I'm talking storm.  Howling winds, sheets of water so thick you can't see out your window.  Random flash flood sweeping over a road.  Hail out of nowhere.  Wind trying to suck open the back door to the hotel you work at.  Storm.

The kind of storm where you wonder "hey, is this a tornado?"  (because that's an even greater fear I have).  And then panic sets in as I fear for my children and make mental plans of action as I scoop them up and head for the basement.

The above photo was taken after such a storm (minus me having kids).  I was working (my first job) at McDonald's.  A storm swept through, seemingly out of nowhere.  There was panic.  Then there were rumors.  One boy came into work just as the storm was ending.  He lived on the same road as I did.  He came inside all in a panic, "there was a tornado and it went right down our road!"  Insert my sheer panic as I envisioned my entire family dead and I left all alone in the world.  I burst into crazy hormonal teenage sobs.

I later learned that he had panicked too.  It wasn't a tornado.  Just a very severe thunderstorm.  Trees down.  Powerlines down.  No, seriously, whole trees were uprooted and down.  I would very much hate to see what a tornado would do.  Severe thunderstorms are bad enough!

Whenever I see skies like the following picture, an uneasiness settles over me.  It's the sky of a storm.  Coming or gone.  This one was the "after storm" sky.  The creepy yellow/orange that makes it seem you're wearing yellow glasses, as everywhere you look has a yellow tone.


On this day I thought we were just getting heavy rain with some thunder.  I was trying to calm Connor by reading him his Franklin book about thunderstorms.  I stopped and told him I'd be right back as I had to close the windows.  I ran upstairs to a sopping wet nursery and when I looked out the window I couldn't see or hear a thing, the wind was so loud and the rain so heavy.  It was as if someone was throwing a HUGE bucket of water at our house.  I couldn't even see the roof under the window.

I forgot the rest of the windows and ran.  I ran as fast as I could to my boy who was trying so hard to be brave, and to my newborn baby.  I scooped them both up and started to run for the basement when it all suddenly stopped.  Craziness.

I hate storms.




.

1 comment:

  1. I don't ever get to experience those types of storms...but I LOVE the ones we get.

    Scary with the kids, though. Eeps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...