The Duties of Parents

A while ago my brother shared a link to a free book.  (The Duties of Parents by J.C. Ryle) I always try to make a point to read what he shares, because it is always worthwhile.  However, I'm not "normal" (by today's standard) - I prefer to read an actual paper, versus from a phone or computer screen.   So I read the first few pages then saved the pdf to my pc with the intent to read later.  I then forgot about it. 

Yesterday I was doing a little bit of cleaning up on my desktop and opened up this pdf file that I didn't remember.  Once opened I remembered how interested I was after reading the first few pages and immediately set it to print, so that I would actually read it. 

Am I ever glad.  I even made it fun by getting out my highlighter (yes, I am a dork).

It really sets you back on the right path and back in focus on what's important; and I can assure you that what it says is true.  I can especiallly assure you about the truth of the second point he talks about, "Tenderness, Affection and Patience."

Of course, all of it, not just the second point, is great advice.  I couldn't soak it all up fast enough.  It's a great read.  It's only 36 pages. 

The paragraph that most woke me up:

"Precious, no doubt, are these little ones in your eyes; but if you love
them, think often of their souls. No interest should weigh with you so
much as their eternal interests. No part of them should be so dear to you
as that part which will never die. The world, with all its glory, shall pass
away; the hills shall melt; the heavens shall be wrapped together as a
scroll; the sun shall cease to shine. But the spirit which dwells in those
little creatures, whom you love so well, shall outlive them all, and
whether in happiness or misery (to speak as a man) will depend on you."

Please, for the sake of your children if nothing else, read this small book.  And what better price than free?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...